From Bristol to Bath

On my last blog I was very excited when I finally had it up to date with our adventures. Suddenly another week has gone by, and I find myself behind again!

Wednesday 21st June was another very hot day; we were going to visit Clifton and the bridge but decided it would be too uncomfortable so caught up on the washing and blog. Izzy had been upset by the heat as well. We invited Mary and Stephen over for lunch as in the evening we were all going onboard The Matthew for a fish and chip cruise. There was also a music festival over a five day period in Millenium Square, but we couldn’t hear it where we were moored. We went on board the Matthew at 6pm and set off for a gentle cruise along the harbour to the entrance of Cumberland basin; turned around and moored whilst we had our supper. It was quite a cool breeze going along which was very pleasant after the intense heatwave we had been experiencing.

onboard The Matthew

Beautiful evening

Thursday 22nd June and what a change in the weather. It had dropped 10 degrees overnight, and now we were feeling cold, despite this being the normal temp for the time of year. We had a few tasks to do in Bristol before leaving; new phone contract (old phone not enough storage), and visit to Primarni for a few chosen items. Mary and Stephen had invited us for supper to their boat in the evening, as we were leaving Friday and they were staying on in Bristol for another week. Hopefully we will meet up again somewhere on the K&A soon.

Friday 23rd June and we were leaving the harbour and heading back to Bath. We left early to empty cassettes before the ferry boats started; we encountered canoeists along the way to Netham Lock; and on arrival at the lock we had to wait till 9am for it to open as there had been a high tide. Another boat came along before we set off so we ended up sharing the locks along the journey. We wanted to get a mooring somewhere near to Bath city centre, as our friends Amanda and Shirley were visiting from Cornwall for the weekend. The proposed mooring was undergoing renovation and I didn’t fancy stopping there so we travelled through the first 3 Bath locks and moored along the first stretch of 48hr moorings.

Saturday 24th June and Amanda and Shirley arrived by lunchtime. This gave us time to find a place for lunch and do a bit of sightseeing. We lunched in Brown’s, and after went into the Roman Baths. This proved to be a very interesting excursion, through the vast excavations of the site. Much bigger than I had thought by looking at the outside entrance. An audio guide keeps you busy with all the history of the remains.

Roman baths. Re-incarnated in Georgian times so the gentry could partake of the spa waters

Goddess Minerva I believe

a Roman drain

channel where the thermal water flows into the pool

roman excavations

and more

Sunday 25th June and we met up by the Abbey, and walked to Royal Crescent

town houses in Royal Crescent

shame about the cars

These listed town houses were once owned by wealthy Georgians, who wanted a place to retreat to from their mansions. No 1 has been tastefully redecorated in the style, but we didn’t visit on Sunday. The one that has the tree around it’s frontage is a hotel (£1500 per night), they are not allowed to put signs up outside to show it is a hotel. Charlie decided to head on back to the boat whilst we ladies did a bit of shopping. We headed for Sally Lunn’s for elevensies but it was full, so opted for tea and a bath bun in the tea rooms opposite. When the Abbey opened at 1pm we had a peak inside.

Bath Abbey founded as a Benedictine monastery in the 8th century. The present Abbey built in 1499. Dissolved in 1539 by Henry VIII. 1700’s many monuments are added to the walls. Repairs in the 20th century due to WW2 bomb damage

main stained glass window

vaulted ceiling

one of the many tombs

butterfly artwork depicting the human struggle of migration

chantry chapel for quiet contemplation

main altar

memorial to the first governor of Australia

another elaborate fan vaulted ceiling

another tomb

I was quite pleased with the photo’s as I took them on my new phone. We went back to the boat for dinner that I had already prepared, and Amanda and Shirley had purchased some dessert from a french patisserie.

waiting patiently for dinner

They left us at 7pm as they were travelling back to Cornwall early on Monday to avoid the Glastonbury traffic. Lovely to see them.

Monday 26th June and we needed to move from the 48hr mooring we were on along to the next one 3 locks up, so we could continue our Bath adventure and complete our holiday! Once moored we set off for No 1 Royal Crescent to look around the refurbished Georgian house.

No 1 Royal Crescent

breakfast room

bureau with many books from the period


dining room. tables can be taken apart and stored in alcoves if a dancefloor required after dinner

privacy screen. chamberpots were used as no toilets within the house. pots were in most of the rooms

staircase ascending 3 floors

ladies bedroom

gentlemans sitting room

housekeepers room below stairs


cooking range

dog wheel to turn the roasting spit before animal welfare was thought of


The house was owned by a wealthy gentleman and when he died all of his possessions were sold. The items in the renovated house today are of the era, but none belonged to him; even so a fascinating insight to Georgian gentry.

Afterwards we decided to see if we could get into Sally Lunn’s tea room. Legend has it that she was a french Huguenot girl that found employment with a local baker, and introduced him to french festival type cakes or bunns; these were served at afternoon teas as they were light and delicious, which soon became part of Baths tradition. The building is very old with foundations linking back to Roman times, and the museum underneath shows the excavated floor of the different era’s.

Sally Lunn’s tea room

museum below the shop

how the bunns would have been made

strange carving in the museum

the bunn served with clotted cream and jam

We did get in and had the above with a pot of tea. The bunns can be served savoury or sweet, and you either get a top or bottom, and eat it with a knife and fork.

Tuesday 27th June and I had booked us into the Thermae bath spa (Cross bath), to experience the thermal waters. The Cross bath is across the road from the main spa and is alot cheaper as no other treatments are involved. For 1.5hrs we bobbed around in lovely warm water

bobbing around

and thoroughly enjoyed the experience; also got to keep the flip flops!! Afterwards we popped into another tea room and had tea and a bath bun. We then had a walk along the riverside to Pulteney weir and bridge.

unusual shape for a weir

trip boat returning

Pulteney bridge

looking back at the weir and bridge

There was once moorings before the weir but these have been discontinued which is a shame as it is a lovely spot.

On returning to the boat felt really tired after the warm bath.

Raining today and we have to move again; only a short hop to the next lot of 48hr moorings which looks over Bath city. Think we have seen all we want to, and sampled all the delights, so we now feel our holiday is over.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.