Today’s excursion…

Saw us climb the rocky crag to get to Beeston castle. There have been human settlements there since prehistoric times. It became a Bronze Age metal working site, and later an Iron Age hill fort whose earthwork defences were adapted by medieval castle builders.  

 

It’s medieval title was “the castle of the rock” and was begun in 1220 by Ranulf, Earl of Chester.  

 

The view from the top takes in 8 counties, the Welsh mountains, and the Pennines. Luckily it was a glorious day so the view was fantastic. 

 

The castle was an important English civil war stronghold. It surrendered to parliament in 1645 after a long siege. It was destroyed after this event. It was bought in Victorian times by wealthy John Tollemache who opened it as a tourist attraction. It is now managed by English Heritage. Surrounding the castle is extensive woodland which made for a pleasant walk back down. After that mammoth climb we frequented the local hostelry and had a pint!

Leave a Reply