Walk to Leek Town

Yesterday we had a bit of a disaster with our website! Charlie too keen to delete photos of the media, which in turn affected the blog. We were really told off by our IT expert who kindly sorted it out as best he could, and I think we have recovered most of the blog photos now. Been told not to do anything before consulting the expert!

Today started with rain, but it soon dried up and as we needed topping up on provisions we decided to walk to Leek.  Morrisons wasn’t too far away, but the walk takes you through an industrial estate which is a bit of a letdown after the tranquility of the canal. Anyway undeterred we carried on up a hill (after a little moaning from Charlie) and eventually arrived in the town centre. Leek derives it’s name from the norse word for water or spring, and it was a silk town, which gained a reputation for dyeing and embroidery. The Leek school of embroidery was founded here in the 1870’s by a Lady Wardle, and about the same time William Morris (founder of the arts and crafts movement) worked here. Also James Brindley the canal engineer started in business as a wheelwright in Leek.

Information board in Leek market place.

Information board in Leek market place.

 

The market place Leek. weekly markets are held here, but not today

The market place Leek. weekly markets are held here, but not today

IMG_1317

Parish church of St Edward built in the 14th centuty but restored in 1856, and the chancel in 1867.

Old public house still showing the Joules brewery sign

Old public house still showing the Joules brewery sign

Array of old buildings around the town

Array of old buildings around the town

And another old pub

And another old pub

We had a good look around. There are many antique shops, charity shops (as usual) and a lovely mix of other more traditional shops that you don’t see much of today. We then ventured back down the hill to Morrisons, had a coffee, got some shopping and trudged home with our loaded trolley. There is a Brindley museum not too far away but sadly like many interesting attractions isn’t open until Easter.

Tomorrow we will be moving back along the Leek arm to join the Caldon again as weather is set fair for the next 2 days.

 

Leave a Reply